Italian Vegetable Stew
Don’t toss out that stale bread! Combine it with vegetables that might already be chilling out in your refrigerator to make this delicious and hearty zero waste stew.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (6.5 oz.) Italian bread, cubed
- Shaved parmesan, for serving
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Blanch collard greens and kale 3 minutes. Drain and place in large stock pot.
- Add olive oil to stock pot; cook over medium heat until wilted. Mix in carrots, celery, leek and mushrooms; sauté until tender. Mix in garlic and tomatoes; cook until fragrant.
- Stir in vegetable broth, cannellini beans, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in bread.
- To serve, remove bay leaves and top with parmesan.